Friday 28 February 2014

Overlay Technique



Before
After

In my photo, I started off  by cropping it, I no longer wanted a rule of thirds type of photo. I wanted my focus to be the tiger I put over my face, and the bright blue eye's. In the original photo I have white stripes on my shirt that were really taking away the focus of my photo, so I coloured it over with black. I also changed my photo to black and white so the tiger face could blend with the rest of my skin tone and look more natural. What I really wanted to accomplish is my eyes standing out, so I kept them as the original colour and turned everything else into black and white. I also played around with the tiger face so it would fit my face naturally and I also erased near my eyes. A problem I had while editing this photo was figuring out how to keep my eyes from turning in to black and white along with the rest of me. I ended up using the lasso tool to make a new layer for each eye and I was able to accomplish only my eyes not in black and white.


Before

After

In this photo, I cropped so it was closer to my face, it didn't seem nessecasry to stay farther away from my face. I wanted to use pink and blue for my gradient tool because the photo that was overlaying my face was pink and blue and I thought it looked neat. For my overlay, I used a flower texture I thought was pretty. I erased the overlay from everywhere but my skin, I made sure it wasn't on my teeth or lips and my eyes as well. A problem I had while playing with this photo is using the gradient tool around my hair, my hair is curled in this photo so I had to get around my curls neatly,it took some time.



I think my final product is succesful. I feel a lot more knowledged after this assignment, I learned a lot and I feel more confident editing photos on Adobe Photoshop. Overlaying photo's is a cool technique to play around with it. I think my first photo is very succesful, it's exactly what I imagined when I thought about what I wanted to do for this assingment. My first photo is defiantly my favourite, I spent a lot more time on it and I like the idea better, but I do like the second one it's happy and fun, the colours are very cheerful.






1 comment:

  1. Morgan, I know you had a lot of challenges on this task and I believe you increased your technical skills as you found solutions. I like the blue eye contrast of the first image and that you cropped it to look so different from the Warhol version. I know you second attempt was a bit rushed, but I am pleased that you got to try something else. I would ask that you avoid using a "Selfie" photo next time:)
    Your reflection is quite good in terms of clarity and grammar. You didn't really explain the overlay itself however. You skipped right over the opacity and resizing process. Let's focus on timing for you so that you're not always facing a last-minute rush.

    ReplyDelete